SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Repairs
Thread: Bottom Repairs
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
T37 Chef, nice. I am doing the same thing right now on a 1983 Mason. After soda blasting - which uncovers all defects/impacts/etc - I too noticed what I call irregularities in the gelcoat. Bumps in places that held no water (visually or with the moisture meter ) and their counterpart the crater. The craters are only the gelcoat. I sanded the entire bottom, am now filling with MAS FLAG epoxy / micro baloon mix. The number of the little 'imperfections' are likely more than 10,000. I am also doing a rudder repair and repairing and fairing the substantial area on the underside of the keel. When she is sanded again to fair ( all excess faring mix off ) I will barrier coat with the same epoxy, unthickened of course. I will tint the epoxy grey and let it to a full cure, slap some paint on and then, of course, sail it. I chose to barrier coat with MAS for the following; have used in the past with great results for other projects, VOC free, blush free, excellent customer service when I called with loads of questions, cost effective, you can vary pot life/ mix and match resin hardeners, and there is no 'window' to paint with antifouling. Just let it cure fully and then paint when you want.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook