SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Samurai Files
View Single Post
  #17  
Old 03-20-2009
serah's Avatar
serah serah is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
We had a productive night last night (though no resolution to the reefing point battle.) I'm not sure if I mentioned this: we bought the boat so we could use her. We've decided that we are not going to undertake any projects that will keep us off the water (excluding a haul & paint in the fall, and possibly repairing the delaminated foredeck - we'll figure details on that one out when it's a bit warmer out) Another thing of note is that though I'm relatively handy, bigger projects tend to intimidate me, especially those that require drilling/cutting and in general putting more holes in the boat. However, I've insisted that I be the one who does most of the work on Samurai - mostly in the interest of learning these skills, but also so that if something does go wrong, I (kind of) know how the systems work. I did most of the initial rewiring (with the boy's excellent guidance of course) of the lights and the bilge pump. Anyway, just trying to explain my fascination with this, and why what seems to be simple projects seem momentous to me.

The projects we've been focusing on have been ones that make it more comfortable to be out. We knocked off three projects last night, two of which needed to be done before we could comfortably spend any time aboard:
1. Attached drain and hose to sink and connected it to the thruhull. This drove us nuts on the trip home - dishes were done in a bucket, usually on deck in the snow. No more, thank you. Also, it's nice to have somewhere to wash your hands. This was "my" project - first time using a jigsaw in anything but ideal shop conditions. The contortions required to cut while laying on your stomach in the bilge! The reason we chose to cut a piece out of the bulkhead was because there was no way the hose could run from drain the thruhull without dips in the hose for water to collect/clog in.


*please note the beautiful 1970s original cushions - in mint condition!!

2. Unbolting the head and remounting it. This still had the original 1970s non-stainless wood screws (the ones with the square heads) "holding" (read: the head itself had about two inches of give in all directions when sat on, or pumped). We drilled new holes, filled the old ones with sikaflex, made an attempt at removing the rust stains and remounted her. Solid as can be now. Also, as per the surveyor's recommendation, we poured a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil into the bowl, and pumped it through - this trick works remarkably well! It was incredibly difficult to do before, requiring both hands and body weight to persuade it to pump - now she quite happily pumps away! Some of the seals are obviously shot (water squirts out the handle as you pump - lovely!) but they no longer make seal kits for this model of Bryden Boy (I think that's the make) If anyone happens to know someone who has extra parts kicking around...
3. Very simple project of cutting a thick dowel to length so as to fit in the "hanging locker" This boat is great for relatively inaccessible storage (under the v-berth and setees) or non-dry storage (huge lazarettes and bilge storage) but little for quick-access.

We haven't touched the jagged luff foil, or the backstay yet. It's rained every night we've been down - surprise, surprise (well, it is early spring in Vancouver!) Actually, we haven't even given her deck a proper scrub yet Sunday is the day though! Supposed to be sunny, and we'll see how this lady actually sails
__________________
1974 24' Swiftsure
"I have always known that at last I would take this road, but yesterday I did not know that it would be today." - Narihara
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook