SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbie Needs Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009

lostappilation is on a distinguished road
Newbie Needs Advice

Greetings everyone,
This is the first time I've been here so bear with me. I have always been facinated with sailing. I've been talking for years about learning, but now I have a sound reason to. I am attending school and living in northeast TN. I have accepted a possition starting beetween 18 and 36 months from now working in St. Thomas. I would like to sail there and live on my boat while there. The problems with this course of action are many. 2 big ones come to mind; first I dont own a boat, second I don't know how to sail. I guess I will need to buy 2 boats; one to learn on while living here, the other to take with me. money is definately a problem now, although that will immprove after graduation. what I realy want is information about buying my first boat. I have found a sailing club on an area lake and I'm sure they will help, but there is no such thing as too much information. On a side note if anyone has any ideas how I can get by with one boat in the 35k price range that would be great, but I won't hold my breath. otherwise I'd like to spend as little as possible on the first boat. no more than 5k. any advice about anyof the numerous topics in this would be most apprieciated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook