SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modified rig and hull?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Modified rig and hull?

I've been looking at a few used boats recently and came across an interesting 1968 Cal 36 on Saturday.

First, this Cal had twin forestays (no furler) that were side-by-side. I've obviously seen two forward stays on a cutter-rigged boat, but I've never seen to forestays side-by-side at the bow. I'm pretty sure this Cal wasn't rigged like this from the factory. Anyone know the purpose of the extra stay?

The boat also had two inline rudders (see picture below) and two inline tillers. Again, all of the Cal 36's I've seen in the past only had one spade rudder while the Cal I looked at yesterday had an additional rudder attached to the back of the fin keel with a prop aperture. The tiller for this rudder was almost entirely under the primary tiller and could be secured in place with a series of horizontal notches in an aluminum strip mounted to the cockpit floor. What's the purpose of the the second rudder/tiller? Anyone ever seen this set-up?

While the boat interested me as a spacious cruiser with good sailing attributes, I believe the spade rudder needs to be replaced. There is a menacing crack along boths sides. From the picture below, am I correct in thinking this is a deal breaker?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 03-22-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook