SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modified rig and hull?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Kwalt,

Interesting stuff.

I can't say whether it's original to this Cal, but the double headstay is not unheard of in my experience. In fact, I've seen and heard of a fair number of boats so configured (generally not of modern vintage though). It serves several purposes, one of which is simply to have a redundant headstay. The other is to allow two headsails to be hoisted and poled out simultaneously, as for long legs of downwind sailing in the trades. (Today you could do that with a twin-groove furler extrusion, but you still don't get the redundant headstay and it won't work for traditional hank-on sails).

The twin rudder arrangement is more intriguing. I have no first hand knowledge on that, but my hunch is that the keel-hung rudder is intended as more of a trim-tab arrangement, possibly as an attempt to improve windward performance, but also maybe simply for long trade-wind passages that require less rudder input when pulled downwind by those twin headsails?

Finally, that spade rudder sure does look like it needs some attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook