SailNet Community - View Single Post - most breathable foulies?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
thanks guys. i work on boats professionally and thus end up spending a good deal of time in my "slicker". This morning I ordered a top of the line Gore-Tex set based on your advice. Through shopping around I noticed that the top of the line gear from all of the companies is Gore-Tex so I think you're on to something.

David, my current set of foulies are Helly Hansens. I have a smock top with a neoprene neck and wrist gaskets which essentially makes it a dry top with foulie features and regular bib bottoms. The breathable material is HellyTechXP. It's a really nice top and I like it a great deal, but it's only worth it if you're getting really wet. With the neoprene there isn't a great deal of air circulation which really lets the heat build up inside if you're moving around a lot. The HellyTechXP fabric does an okay job of letting moisture escape, but frankly I want something better for most situations. It's also slightly more difficult to take on and off so getting geared up is kind of a commitment. I'm glad I have it in the inventory for those sporting occasions but all and all I've found that unless you're actively standing four on in a full gale a traditional foulie setup makes more sense.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook