SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Samurai Files
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009

serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
Thanks sailingdog & Faster!

I forgot to mention that certainly the attachments for the pulpit, cleat and chocks will all be solid fibreglass, likely with backing plates. I am intending on using fully woven cloth as well. However, we were also told to stay away from epoxy resins... I think it was mostly because epoxy would bond to polyester, but not the other way around? I've never worked with polyester, only epoxies. However, I see no problem moving to epoxy, and just sticking with it; especially if it's more likely to stick to the original layers, and if having each layer bond to each other is going to be arduous, if not impossible, from down below. All the more reason to push to do this repair from above, and doing a full haul... then again if we do haul now, we may as well do a barrier coat and new bottom paint, as well as waxing & buffing the topsides... making this a huge project and will likely be moved back to the fall

I'd originally hoped to go in from above, but that was vetoed. If this repair is not going to be sufficiently strong if done from down below, no sense in doing it right?

In any case, the deck is hideous with the beige no-slip coating applied. This gives me an excuse to redo this Wasn't on the list of projects...