SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Samurai Files
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009

serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
A shame, as I've always liked the looks of a black deck. White it is, as that bland beige has to go!

As much as I cringe to write this, and knowing that you will all think me a fool (if you don't already for buying a boat that requires such work!) something is telling me that despite the board's collective wisdom, and my better judgement, we'll end up pressing through with doing this from the inside. Yes, I will regret this decision. Yes, I will curse a blue streak when the core doesn't bond fully to one of the layers and when I have resin curing to my arm in the dark recesses of that forward locker. Please remind me of this moment then Alas, the boy feels we'll be able to make it work from down below, with adequate propping up of the new core. Then again, he was completely opposed to the idea of recoring to start, so maybe I'll be able to pull him around...

So here I am. What can I do to make my chances of success be as high as possible, without having to do it from above? Tackier resin will help, to an extent. Lots of propping it up, as well as doing small areas (this won't help when doing the inner skin though)

Also, if we do choose to put this off 'til the fall (and have to go ahead from insurance to do so) is this terribly dangerous to leave? The forestay is very solid (perhaps a good sign?) and there didn't seem to be any wiggle in the chainplate at all. We'll be down tomorrow night, and I'll take some close up photos.

And cost-wise - excluding the costs of having to repaint the entire deck and re-do the non-slip, and assuming that we don't have to reglass the chainplate mount, roughly, what should I be expecting to pay for this project?