SailNet Community - View Single Post - What makes a good family cruiser boat?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
What makes a good family cruiser boat?

Jack,

It is really funny how we often look at the opposite side of the same coin. I see where you are coming from on most of your comments and at some level agree that all that you say makes sense. As you can imagine from reading my posts all of these years, I came to somewhat different conclusions.

Take your quote ,"you''ll want a boat that is easily handled - by either of you - and sails without fuss. This may be in conflict with your husband''s desire to have a ''racer/cruiser'' (he may have his eye on racing the boat locally) as such boats often have multiple trimming options that a simple ''family cruiser'' sloop won''t have, and such a boat may be less forgiving when trimming gets less attention by the single crew member who''s also navigating a bit, steering and trimming the sails full-time, and trying to sneak below to fetch a Coke out of the fridge."

When I read the first few words ,"you''ll want a boat that is easily handled - by either of you - and sails without fuss." I thought, ''Right on Jack'' but then I immeadiately thought that a performance oriented boat would have a better hardware and deck layout, lighter steering, etc. making it easier to short hand or for smaller people to get involved in. I thought that performance boats generally offer more performance with less effort (and less adjustment although they have the tools to obtain even higher performance when properly dialed in) and so T''s husband would enjoy sailing the boat more. I figured that there would be some compromises but all and all came up on the other side of the coin. I''m not sure that either one of us are right or wrong but I got a kick out of how different our responses were.

Although off of the subject, best wishes to all for a great Thanksgiving, but expecially to you Jack.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook