SailNet Community - View Single Post - Georgian Bay: Midland To Killarney
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Georgian Bay: Midland To Killarney

Starting June 20th, I intend to sail from Midland (Doral) to Killarney with my wife.

I hope to be able to do the return trip in 2-weeks.

Last year I sailed from Midland to around Killbear. It took about 3 days to get up there and one (long) day to get back.

We have friends up the East side of the Bay (around Frying Pan Island and just North of Killbear - Dillon Cove). Our plan is to visit with our friends on the way up. The length of time we spend with them will definitely be a factor in whether or not 2-weeks is a realistic time in which to make the cruise.

My thought is that we sail up the outside i.e. not in the small-craft channel, and cut into shore for anchorages.

The challenge is that the prevailing wind will be almost exactly on our nose all the way up the coast.

I'm wondering, does anyone who has experience sailing up the East side of Georgian Bay have an opinion on whether the Midland to Killarney and back trip is comfortably doable within 2-weeks?

If not I can make arrangements for my wife to get home from Killarney and I can carry on - either through the North Channel, or down to Tobermory and back across home. My wife has only 2-weeks of holidays. I can pretty much take as much time as I want to get home.

Any thoughts?

Any 'must see' points of interest in that area? I understand that the Bustards are well worth a visit.

Now the planning starts. I reviewed my charts and it looks like I'm going to have to spend a bit to get all of the required charts for the area (I've got most of Southern Georgian Bay and the strips up to 2203).

I guess that's just another example of the definition of 'B.O.A.T.' (Break Out Another Thousand)

Anyhow, any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook