SailNet Community - View Single Post - What makes a good family cruiser boat?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
What makes a good family cruiser boat?

Jack,

Guilty as charged. I must admit that I am fairly constantly adjusting. It is almost by habit that I will reach out and adjust something like the sheet tension, traveler,or the backstay. I do it almost by reflex, so I think that you would have a lot to kid me about. On the other hand, I do that on whatever boat I sail, whether it is a more traditional and perhaps more forgiving boat or not.

There is a funny story about sailing with a friend on a sail trial of an older Freedom 33 wishbone boom, cat ketch. The seller was aboard and kept talking about how the boat was so simple to sail and that you simply raised sails and sailed. We were on a beat and the boat was pointing very badly. I began moving around the boat adjusting halyard and outhaul tension and began playing with the snotter which was hard to adjust underway. (When I got back to the cockpit the owner of the boat said that he did not realize that you even could adjust the snotter.) We were now pointing and moving much better than we had been. When we cracked off I reveresed some of the adjustments to give us more reaching speed. After a while my friend finally joked, "Jeff, you can even take a simple boat and make it complicated to sail."

Jack I would really enjoy sailing with you. The offer stands that anytime that you are stateside just give me a call and we''ll go out on Synergy. I can take the ribbing.

Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook