SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barrier Coat & Antifouling paint
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2001

shipley is on a distinguished road
Barrier Coat & Antifouling paint

Need recommendations on barrier coat and antifouling paint. I have just pulled my 34 fiberglass sailboat (Irwin)out for a move & bottom painting. It hasn''t been painted for several years, doesnt have a barrier coat and the current paint is cracked and blistered badly. I just started removing it with a scrapper. So since I am doing it myself and I have been out of the boating scene for several years, I''m looking for suggestions. I''ve just moved the boat from New Jersey to San Francisco and will be keeping it in the bay (Richmond/Berkley area - salt water)and dont'' want to keep yanking it out for painting every 6-12mo.1) easiest way to remove the current antifoul paint (2 layers), 2)should I remove the primer coat between the hulls gel coat and antifoul paint to apply a barrier coat,3) best type of barrier coat and antifoul paint for casual cruising and brand name if possible 4)paint application ideas, 5) is there any type of paint that should go on between the barrier coat and antifoul to increase bonding and product performance - Thx!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook