SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making Companionway Doors
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
We're all thinking of the same stuff - that's interesting.

I'm busy with mine as well. We also have three boards that get stowed when we're aboard. In our storm experience, they leaked like a holed bucket and made down below as dark as heck.

So I have decided to have a single piece toughened glass panel made in one piece to slot in when we need waterproof weather protection. Then the second set will be a stainless steel grate that is the same shape that goes in when we're on board and need security with ventilation.

The original boards will be used when we leave the boat and need just security.

The other thing that I have been thinking of is a central locking mechanism (automotive) that activates with a remote control. Then the locking is done from inside by remote control on the outside and no locks exist to be forced. The locking system can actually be made really strong without being unsightly.

"What happens when the batteries die and your central locking system fails?" you say. Well I'll put a pull cable from the locking mechanism to a locker on deck that is secured with a padlock. I reckon a thief who gets on board and sees a companionway with no locks at all on it will go off to find an easier target. I'm reasonably confident that he won't break open every locker on deck in the hope of finding a release. Maybe that's naive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook