SailNet Community - View Single Post - Georgian Bay: Midland To Killarney
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
All of this depends on the wind.

Shouldn't be a problem if you take the outside route. The inside route is for small power boats. The distance is roughly 105nm depending on routing. If you can figure that you'll average a very conservative 4knots with prevailing south westerlies, then it should be roughly a 26 hour sail. This is based on a very direct offshore routing, west of Giant's Tomb, west side of the Watchers, east side of North and Long Island, east of Papoose Island. Great water the whole way AS LONG AS you stay east of North and Long islands. Be advised, you could be in for some serious swells coming off of Lake Huron if we get any sort of sustained (3 days) high (15knots+) winds from the west. This would be outside the normal pattern though.

As a 2 week trip, it's more than doable. I would allow for 3 days of passage each way which would give a week with your friends.

Have fun!
Thanks Patrick.

It seems as though the prevailing winds (down where I am anyway) are NW to NNW. Do they turn more SW as you go up the bay? SW would be ideal as we'd be on a broad reach most of the way up, and a close reach across the top.

We have gone out to Hope Island quite a few times. The best we've ever managed was just over 5 hours from Midland. My thought was that this would be the first day's leg (either that or anchor on the East side of Giant's Tomb - Beckwith would be a CF on the weekend!) Once we get around the West side of Giant's Tomb and past the Watchers we could then make it to Frying Pan. That's 2-days. From Frying Pan up to Killbear is another day (taking into account coming inshore from the outside route). So we are at 3 days and not quite half way to Killarney.

Last year I got from Killbear to Midland in 12 1/2 hours, but that was with exceptional wind.

I know that if we stayed outside we could do a straight run and cover a lot of water, but we would still have to cut in to anchor (I'm not ready to do the over-night sail thing just yet).

I think you are at the North-east end of Beausoleil. Do you have any recommendations for points of interest up the East coast? Around Pointe-au-Baril, Britt etc?

Thanks again for your insight.

Dave

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook