SailNet Community - View Single Post - Georgian Bay: Midland To Killarney
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 03-25-2009 Thread Starter
flyingwelshman
Senior Member
 
flyingwelshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,780
Thanks: 21
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
Dave, just did this trip last year..... it was awesome. Check out my Photobucket Album for the pics.

( don't listen to Patrick reagring the small craft channel, There's lotsof bigger boats I've seen in there, he's just a stinkboater up in this area and can only sail on Lake Ontario where there's no rocks )

We left Penetang Thurs. morning and motored ( little wind) to Kilbear the first night. I went up between Giants and the mainland and cut into the channel somewhere in the Twelve Mile Bay area. Left Kilbear 7:00 am and motored in the channel ( dead calm that early in the morning ) up to Point au Baril. Above Point au Baril the inner channel is very exposed so no point in being in the channel. Heading out of Point au Baril the forecast wind was W 10 -15 knots and that would put us on a perfect tack to hit Killarney by 7:00 at night. The wind picked up to close to 20 knots and then were hit by a thunderstorm couple hours out of Killarney. I had dropped the sails and managed to skirt around the storm front but still had the winds shift from W 15 to E 30 in a matter of minutes. We landed in Killarney around 8:00 or so. I had phoned ahead to reserve a dock at the Sportsman Inn.

We spenet the next couple of days in Baie Fine and headed back through Collins Inlet, where we stayed one night unexpectantly when another thunderstorm ( gustrs to 52 knots) ran right over us, luckily I had dropped anchor minutes before, literally.

Next day was a motor ( no wind) to the Bustards, highly reccomend this group of Islands. The two pics of our dog were taken at the Bustards.

Next day we stayed in the channel down to Shawanagan Island, which is just below Point au Baril. As I said above most say to go out but the channel although is narrow and shallow at spots, we draw 5 ft. and had no probelm and the water levels are supposed to be up this year. From Shawanagan we motored home in the channel again as another t-storm was brewing.

For the most part we motored more than sailed. You can stay out and sail and go in the channel and motor and have lots of areas to revise and adjust your plans according to weather. We did the trip up and were back late on the nineth night out, with three parked nights in Baie Fine because we enjoyed the bay so much.

You should be able to do it in two weeks, just leave yourself some leeway if you get pinned somewhere with bad weather.



Thanks Scott, your pictures are great. I am looking forward to the trip more than ever.

I hope the wind is favourable as I would much rather be sailing.

We saw (and experienced) some of those storms last year. It seemed the year for them....

Thanks again

Dave

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
flyingwelshman is online now  
Quote Share with Facebook
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome