SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Experience with sail repair?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Denr 
#1 ·
I''m giving some thought to sending my old sails to sailcare in PA. I''m wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them, or any other business that provides this service. I''m located in te northeast of the US, so I''m not really interested in west coast companies or companies outide the US.
Thanks for any tips or advice.

#2 ·
I used SailCare last year and was MORE than pleased with the service. The total fee was less than the initial estimate they gave me...they shipped my sail back to me when they said they would, and several people at the marina commented on my "new" sail when I first hoisted it. It really did look brand new. I would not hesitate to use then again.

Good luck.
Bobbi
s/v Kokopelli

#5 ·
I would imagine that there are several factors that come into play with this...salt water or fresh? Sailing year round or will you be on the hard with sails in storage for some of the year? I know some people that felt the re-conditioning gave them a few extra years but they took very good care of their sails and were on fresh water.

#6 ·
A dock mate of mine (P31) used this service, the head sail was bright white when it came back and "felt" nearly new so we decided the proof was in the puding, we bent the genoa on the boat and went for a sail. Sadly, the sail still blown out, that is to say that the draft was in the same place as before, at the aft end of the sail, not near the luff as it would be with a new sail.

Sailcloth can be made to look and feel new but you basically have the old sail! Is it cheaper than a new sail, absolutely, is it a substitute, NFW. If your goal is to look good, by all means go for it, if you want performance, buy a new sail. Cloth that has seen normal wear and tear of 10-15 years should be replaced IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.