SailNet Community - View Single Post - knock downs
Thread: knock downs
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
knock downs

OK I have been sailing for a long time and have been knocked down twice be four this summer once years ago in Biscayne Bay on a gaff rig cutter under full sail and another time on a Benateau 35 when a squall caused the jib roller furler to let go. Out came the jib flapping like mad and the sheet line wrapped around a stanchion and sheeted the jib and over she went in about 40kts of wind.This summer while watching a squall about three miles away and moving kind of away from us we sat at ease under the binini top when a cold breeze hit the back of my neck. I stuck my head out and looked straight up and moved to pull in the second reef at that moment it was to late. We were hit and over we went but I was already into a turn and she came back up as we rounded up. All three knock down''s we had the boards in and the hatch closed and you should to if it is nasty weather if it is real bad slip a pin through the hasp to make sure the hatch does not come open.Don''t lock the hatch.The boat came back up when we let go the sheet lines.

Last edited by sailnaway; 03-13-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook