SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Modified" Fram Oil Filter
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004

pma_foyl is on a distinguished road
"Modified" Fram Oil Filter

During a recent oil change, I found that no oil was circulating past my newly installed Fram PH8A oil filter. This is the same make/model of filter that was "working" on the engine (W60) when I bought it.

However, the "old/working" PH8A filter appears to have been "modified." The brand new PH8A that I tried to put on, has the large center hole (that goes on the nipple) and several smaller holes surrounding it. These small holes don''t appear to allow oil in or out; no flow threw. They have a rubber gasket inside the filter blocking the holes.
The "modified" PH8A appears to have the gasket pushed out of the way of the holes (almost looks like someone just stuck a screw driver inside and moved the rubber ring out of the way.

To make sure I didn''t have just a single defective filter, I tried another brand new PH8A and got the exact same results. No oil flow or pressure.

So here''s my question: Has anyone ever heard of modifications like this??? It gives me the creeps.

Or has anyone heard of a change in design of this particular filter. I''ve been told that it''s been the same for years.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook