SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
I think everyone's opinion here is quite sound and I doubt that I would confront anyone. I would just let them take what they needed and hopefully they will just go away. I can always replace what they took, but my life can't be replaced but I would want a backup system as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineHaden View Post
Wow..the bear banger sounds dangerous to the operator...think I'll just stick with the simple things...flare gun, bear spray....and most of all prayer
I don't think it's dangerous and it is quite simple. (but it could be...this is definately not an endorsement, I've never used one myself) I took the liberty of borrowing my buddies to show you and anyone else that's interested. It works just like a flare gun, you screw on the flare or banger and to fire it you need to pull back on the fireing pin. As you can see in the photos, it's about the size of a pen and it's made of aluminum and probably a steel firing pin. Even if it's kept as a backup system in the ditch bag (it also fires flares) which are $18.00CAD for 6 flares, that's a lot cheeper than 12gauge flares which are about $100CAD for 12. It wouldn't replace a flare gun but I think it's great for taking in the bush or jungle. I think a bigger threat is a charging animal.

In any case, Blue Sovereign was wondering about other flare gun options so I thought this would be helpful.

Here it is taken appart (it's quite a simple mechanism)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook