SailNet Community - View Single Post - OK, how about the Nordic 40 ??
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004

ddimaui is on a distinguished road
OK, how about the Nordic 40 ??

The responces to the previous post have been wonderful. The tendency of our consumer world to turn a slick sailing boat into a stinkpot are overwhelming. One has to remember just why we want to take off -- not, I think, to hang out at the mall or local hardware store.

Another boat I find interesting is the Perry designed Nordic 40. With about 18,000 disp. and very sweet lines, it has an appeal to me. Although it appears to be Taiwan built, the deck is balsa cored, with no teak overlay, scantlings seem to be sound and one would hope that by the mid 80''s, Bob Perry would have monitored the construction fairly rigorously. Concerns to me would be quality of wiring, construction and attachment of the tanks, in-board chain plate configuration and so on. I have to assume it sails very well. I would appreciate greatly any feedback.

BTW, I owned a Perry designed Taiwan built 36 footer in the early to mid 80''s. It was a great sailing vessel and easily handled in a blow, although too much teak on deck for reasonable maintenance.

Also, still very interested in the J-40, thanks to all of you on this site.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook