SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain Plate Bulkhead Repair
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Wrote this reply on AS, and posting here as well...

Considering that the wood is spongy, I would do one of the following:

1) re-place the bulkhead, or
2) cut out the spongy area and scarf in a new wood, or
3) cut out the spongy area, scarf in new wood and sister an additional board to it.

Method 1 is probably the nicest looking, but the most work. Method 3 is probably considerably stronger than method 2 and well worth doing. I'd also recommend you do whatever you do on the port side to the starboard side or vice versa.

If the wood is spongy, it has started to rot and probably lost significant portions of its strength. This is a chainplate that holds your mast up.... do you really want to just repair it with penetrating epoxy instead of doing a proper repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander30Bahama View Post
Hey everyone,

I posted this on AS as well I figure the more input the better.

So this weekend after I get the motor running I am going to carefully remove a chain plate teak plywood bulk head. I pulled all the trim off in the head side of the bulk and I didn't like the spongyness of the wood. My plan is to pull the bulkhead out and see if I can repair it using penetrating epoxy.
Here is my plan for repairs.

1) Cut and remove fiberglass tabs that hold bulkhead in.

2)once bulk head is out inspect entire bulkhead for dry rot.

3)every three inches or so drill a hole into bulkhead from the edge about 10inches into it.

4) inject penetraing epoxy into each hole.

5) let cure for a few days in the garage.

6) reinstall bulkhead using west system epoxy and glass.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has any input. I figure I should do this project while I have the entire interior torn apart.

Thanks

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook