SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain Plate Bulkhead Repair
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander30Bahama View Post
Thanks SD,

I will take some pictures this weekend and post them with the progress of this project so that It may helps others here in the forums.

The only soft/spongy areas of the bulkhead are along where it is tabbed to the hull. If I were to cut that part of the bulkhead off use it as a template to replace with 3/4 in marine plywood then do a sistering board on the forward side of the bulkhead so its in the head and not very visible.
The interior layers may be spongy much further along since water can wick a long distance along the plies of the plywood, and being trapped between the outer plies, it wouldn't be immediately visible and could be completely rotten.

Quote:
When sistering the two together should I use epoxy and thru bolt it all together for added stiffness?
Yes, laminating the two pieces together with epoxy and through-bolting is the way to go.

Quote:
This is a repair I want to do the right way the first time for in the future I plan to keep this boat a long time and do some coastal sailing with her.

Thanks,

Jeff
Good to hear, glad to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook