SailNet Community - View Single Post - E29 - Head Redesign
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
Status

OK, asked for images and I think I promised a few so here they are to show current status. As noted last Sunday was spent "gutting" the area and cutting new bulkheads. With a friend this took about 6 hours total.

The hardest part was taking out all the screws and then cutting out the bench where the head will now be. Cutting out the bench was surprising in how difficult it was. The seats themselves are balsa cored and had some really thick glass. A tough seat and I hope indicative of the overall build quality of a 70s era Ericson. Below you can see the old and new forward bulkhead as well as the interior ready for rebuild.

I thought cutting the new bulkheads to fit would be the hardest part but it was not. The forward one was pretty easy since I had most of the old one to use as a pattern. I was surprised just how much of it was rotten away! Definite need for replacement. I believe it was caused by a leaking portlight which I have resealed, I hope. The new forward one was also pretty easy using Don Casey's method. Now on to putting it all back together. Today I will be sealing the edges of the new bulkheads with epoxy and letting that cure.

I have to mention that this is the first project like this for me, I do not go into this with much experience. Taking out the old bulkheads and committing to the project was a little nerve wracking but helped. Once out I knew I had no choice but to figure out how to put it back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat project 001.jpg (60.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg boat project 002.jpg (50.6 KB, 100 views)

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook