SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow Pulpit for Catalina 38
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Bow Pulpit for Catalina 38

If I were wanting to replace my (''Plain Jane'') bow pulpit, I would first spend some time researching local metal shops, perhaps shopping for vendor recommendations from yards and/or tradesmen who do general refurb projects and repairs. I''d visit the shop(s) with a sketch and some questions, and talk over the project a bit with one of the workers (most likely the owner). I''d try to gauge how familiar he was with the project, since I''ve heard lots of good ideas and been helped to see my projects in different ways when working directly with a shop.

Bulky purchases incur meaningful shipping charges. And dealing with any stainless vendor long-distance can tax one''s ability to communicate effectively and pass useful measurements and a clear project unless you''re good at drafting (I could tell you stories...). Moreover, the rebounding Canadian dollar may have resulted in better buys in the past than it will now. A good vendor is a good vendor and I don''t mean to slam the Canadian vendor that was recommended but rather to suggest that there are challenges when choosing a long-distance stainless vendor.

A pulpit may seem like a stone-simple project. But I know if I were to modify or replace the one I have, there are a lot of ideas I''d like to consider. (A shop will point out that a ''simple'' project is rarely simple). I''d want to weigh those ideas against their cost, and I''d like to hear about how the ideas could be accommodated but perhaps not quite as I had imagined and/or with their cost mitigated. Altho'' I''ve used distant metal shop vendors in the past, it''s been my experience that all these things are more easily done when interacting in person with the local vendor.

Jack

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook