Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Penobscot Bay Maine
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Diesel fuel tank cleaner recommendations?
We have pumped out all the diesel fuel and have removed the tank from the boat (I think for the first time since installation in 1965!). Here's the situation:
1) The tank is monel (yeah, fancy, huh?) and in good shape.
2) The tank is a deep vee shape, to fit in the bilge of a sailboat - 41 gallons.
3) The tank has 3 baffles, and a 1-1/2 inch NPT access port at the top of two (2) of the chambers (one chamber has NO access).
4) The tank is in pretty good condition inside - just some heavy black sludge at the very bottom (only about 6 inches wide at this point).
5) I'm NOT cutting any more holes into the tank.
SO: What I am hoping to find is a good chemical / petroleum solvent to add to the tank, soak / swish, and get out the black sludge. I've read about using a Starbrite product that is basically common naptha. Anybody have any experience / feedback on a similar project? Thanks in advance for the advice!