SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting rid of "Stuff"
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road
I agree, try and avoid the storage unit if living aboard is your long term plan. If you really try and cut down and find you have too much stuff to fit in the boat, then ask a friend to store a couple of boxes, and you will most likely find you never need to look in them again! One big exception might be your tools, if you've just been renovating/remodeling a house, then you might want to find somewhere safe you can store such tools (hopefully with friend/family).

I moved from living alone in a 4 bedroom house, to moving on to a 25' boat with my husband. I feel your pain, the hardest thing for me was giving up my books. But heck, that is what libraries are for, and now I can find most info I need on the internet anyway.

I'd say keep your bowling ball if that is your hobby and you use it regularly - all of us have stuff aboard that nobody else would want to find space for. If you don't actually bowl regularly then get it a new home.

As for photos - I went through 20+ years of photos, tossed the crap, sent "old photo" packages to friends and family full of embarrassing snapshots, and the ones I really didn't want to lose, I scanned into my computer and now only have digitally. I see those photos way more often than I did when they were in the cupboard and they don't take up any space now! (I have backups to be safe), in fact my hard disc backup is the only thing I keep off the boat.

You can do without lots of gadgets in the kitchen and even elsewhere (e.g. your cell phone can also be your alarm clock)

Dump as much of your household electrical appliances as you can, and try and do without, or find manual alternatives if you can't. (Of course there will be exceptions - heating, computer, etc) but the further down that road you go, the longer you can sail/cruise for without returning to the dock (or running the engine). E.g. if you have a laptop, then you probably don't also need a TV (you can watch DVDs, and get the news on line) - but that is a personal choice.

One big difference living aboard is water - it will get in everywhere either from leaks, damp, or condensation - so make sure you invest in plenty of large zip lock bags for out of season clothes, etc. Once you know your boat, I'd also invest in various plastic tubs to store things (this will help organize AND keep dry).

After living aboard a year, go through EVERYTHING again, and dump the stuff that you now know you don't need.

Have fun! :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook