SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electronic charts & SSB weather
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004

Douggie is on a distinguished road
Electronic charts & SSB weather

Jack, I have been looking into the some of the sources of weather info. avail. via. SSB to computers. Yes there are a few, all seem to be requiring modems which require the notorious ''hook ups''. My ssb, which is quite recent but quite plain, may not have the ''plugs'' around at the back needed to hook up. Reading some of the feed back from cruisers, it looks like there are a lot of problems getting weather from SSB''s. I suppose it''s just one of those hassles to remedy that keep you from getting bored while out there.
The point is, I am wondering if it''s worth pursuing the SSB option or look into the satellite route. I am needing two things, communications ( text or e-mail OK) and weather. I was looking at an SSB hook up yesterday that Steve Daseuw (sp) was endorsing, can''t remember what it was called, found him eventually on noonsight.com. Anyway, he must have everything electronically on his boat that he wants, if he thinks its OK, that''s something. BTW, you mentioned TNC, what''s that?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook