SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising: Barkely Sound

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
Here's a snapshot of some of the highlights of cruising Vancouver Island's remote Barkley Sound...
This is often part of a Van Isle circumnavigation for those with the time, or a slog up from the south for those on tighter schedules. For those with trailerable boats it should be noted that there is road access to Port Alberni, Bamfield and Uclulet for sheltered water access to this area.

With August generally referred to as "Fogust", this area is best visited in early summer, with mid July as most people's latest choice. But it really is the luck of the draw with the weather gods.

Juan de Fuca strait in summer is often subject to strong westerly winds and considerable tidal currents in some areas, so the trip from that end can be quite arduous. While there is potential overnight anchorage in the relatively open San Juan Harbour (Port Renfrew) it's limited and often very rolly. As a result most tend to push through from Sooke or Victoria in one long day. And, naturally, when you're ready to surf those same Westerlies home, that's the day you'll encounter the occasional SE winds.....

Leaving Victoria at first light July 1st:

After a short bit of breeze at Race Rocks, this is what we "saw" for about 12 hours (did I mention this was July 1st)

Rounding Cape Beale and into the channel heading for Bamfield.. did I mention this was July? Friend Brian (at the helm), who we usually sail with in the Caribbean was not impressed! (Did I mention this was July 1st):confused:

Barkley Sound and the Broken Group of Islands (outer Islands left centre of picture)and our approximate routing

Bamfield's famous boardwalk

Brady's Beach, a nice 20 minute walk from the boardwalk.

The Port Alberni Yacht Club outstation - transients welcome, reasonable moorage fees, hot showers..

Neat kayaker's sea tunnel, near the PAYC station

We love our little kayaks!

One boat hidey holes abound

The estuary leading to Lucky Creek

Not so sedate outer coast, "Big Beach" at Uclulet

Uclulet's Canadian Princess Fishing lodge.. rooms on board as well as in the resort on land, with a fleet of charter fishboats.

Lush vegetation on the rain-soaked outer Islands.. Benson in this case.

Old Aboriginal Village beach on Effingham Is - a bit of a bushwack from Effingham Harbour

View from the Pinkertons out to open water in the west.

We DO get our Westerly for the trip home (after waiting 2 days)

After leaving Bamfield in the dark, and sailing right round to Sidney Island non stop, this sunset capped our day.

While giving up some summer sunshine is likely, it's still a worthwhile venture, so different from the San Juans and our inside waters... highly recommended!

See less See more
#2 ·
Would someone please ban this FASTER dude? He keeps posting all his photoshop trying to tease the poor sailors. Everyone knows the sun has never shone in Vancouver. Don't bother coming here to see, unless you have radar, you won't see any thing. Faster, you troublemaker. When my radar is fixed, I am gonna try to stop this.

#3 ·
Sorry, Capn... but this is where I have to go to get pictures of rain: the Caribbean!:p

... But I do take your point ;) If I can't get into any of our favourite anchorages this summer, I suppose it'll be my own fault....

#5 ·
depths and scope in Effingham Bay

wow

great pics and posts. thanks.

planning on Barkley Sound mid June (next month) and have read all of the usual guides. some of the popular anchorages, Effingham Bay, in particular, seem a bit deep to achieve adequate scope (50 foot at zero tide, so including tide and freeboard could be 60 foot meaning at least 300 feet for 5:1).

is this accurate, or am I mistaken?

we've only got 200' off all chain, though we do keep spare 350' mixed chain/3 strand as secondary rode.

we were looking at Joes Bay/Turtle Is as maybe a more sheltered anchorage w better depths - anyone been there?

#6 ·
Much of Effingham Bay is rather deep, we were without a windlass and chose to anchor quite far up in the head of the bay... I seem to recall it was fine, in about 30 feet or so but quite close to the shallows at low tide.

Turtle was fairly busy when we were there. we chose a little one-boat hideyhole just around the corner.

There's always going to be a little cove or private spot you can find. If swell conditions allow I'd highly recommend "day trips" to some of the outer islands.

#7 · (Edited)
I am rapidly developing a love hate relationship with you Faster. :p

As always great pics. Thanks so much. Wish I was there.

OTOH...oohhhh that looks chilly.....doubt I'd be going in for a quick dip. You wouldn't want to slip when climbing into the kayak. :eek:

The old steamer, wasn't that originally the steamer that went up to Juneau ?

edit - nope.....she was originally a Hydrographic Survey Ship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.