SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's up with the J80 keels?
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 03-31-2009
Getting rolled by a breaker would be like having someone come along with a 20 ton jack to work on your bicycle. Don't be surprised if the frame gets bent a touch. Haven't we all heard how a wave falling on a mile of beach represents more energy than humans have used since we figured out how to light a fire? If four feet of that wave happens to hit my J/80 or my Volvo 70, or my IRC rulebeater the wrong way, chances are something's going to break, regardless of how carefully engineered and built it is. Same thing if you drop it off a hoist. Landing wrong (sideways?) off a 10' wave could be worse, impact-wise, than dropping 5' off a hoist --- and what yard would dare hoist the bottom of your keel 5' off the ground? People underestimate the forces involved and make mistakes about boathandling. Bonds can also weaken and fractures develop. Sailing requires being alert to lots of variables both above and below the waterline, and adjusting to conditions on practically every wave. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome