SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yards or companies that do barrier coating in Annapolis area?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
I had read a couple other posts where this was done. Guess I should have questioned them. I'm certainly not ready to debate hard vs. ablative for a first coat and I can see your point but here was my logic.

1. Previous paint (5 or 6 layers) was completely flaking off in areas due to poor adhesion. Don't want that to ever happen again (guess that goes without saying).
2. I had planned to use only hard paint. I want to be able to clean the bottom and I'm concerned about cleaning through the ablative. A hard first coat will ensure there is always paint on the bottom. If I end up not liking ablative, I can always revert back to hard since it's ok to apply ablative over hard but not the other way around.
3. Bottomkote epoxy is half the price of Micron Extra.
4. I like the idea of epoxy paint on top of epoxy barrier coat.

It already shipped and returning it will be very hard. So I'll go ahead as planned. I did check with my Interlux rep. on going this route and to get a recoat time (micron over bottomkote). He didn't seem to have a problem.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook