SailNet Community - View Single Post - New C&C 24 Project Boat
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
I had the survey and verified most everything I already knew but learned quite a bit from the soundings and moisture readings.

As I suspected, I have a fair amount of hull moisture - primarily in the bilge area that is with the boat to stay. Fortunately, there was no evidence of any delamination from frozen moisture that affected structural integrity.

I was surpirsed that the surveyor suggested I leave the deformed hull in place and build up to fair from the outside with additional layers of glass.

While I didn't feel that the water damage to the aft bulkhead was that bad, he suggested that I repair that area. After seeing that I will be unable to access the tabs on the cabin side (although I could on the lazarette side), I have decided to cut out the center lower portion and sister in a partial bulkhead with tabbing only on one side.

The sides and outboard sections of the old bulkhead will remain tabbed as-is and I will glass and through-bolt the 3/4" marine ply sister to it with tabbing along the entire bottom and sides on the lazerette side only.

Fitting the sister in on the port side will require a bit of trimming since the huge interior dent will intefere.

Before I get to doing the outside glass work, I may try jacking and shoring the dents to let them sit for awhile in hopes that they may take a new set in a more normal profile.

Here are some photos of the outside of the hull damage: C&C 24 Hull Damage From Improper Trailer Storage

Last edited by captainmurph; 04-01-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook