SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruisers - Alcohol Oven vs. Microwave ?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Omatako 
#1 ·
If you had to replace an old pressurized alcohol stove/oven combo in an 20+ year old boat. (Without getting into the non-pressurized alcohol vs. propane debat...) Would you replace it with a new gimbled full 2-3 burner + oven unit? Or would you install a cook top with 2-3 burners and build out a cabinet below for a microwave?

I'm thinking it's more likely that 99.9% of the time I'd be reheating pre-made food that's out of the the fridge/icebox, rather than baking something in an actual oven. So it seems like a microwave would make more sense both in functionality and weight savings.

Can anyone weigh in with their experiences and opinions?

#4 ·
That explains a lot... and says it all... :laugher

i have a micro but can only use it on shore power, thats why i have a grill, and CD is my idol. my stove is a non pressurized alky 2 burner

#3 ·
As noted, this isn't a space or heat question, it's a power question. Do you have the fairly beefy inverter and battery capacity to run even a 600 watt microwave for even 10 minutes? The process of inversion and the particular high draw of a microwave (with its combination of rotation motor and magnetron) makes them quite power-hungry.

I would have the microwave and a propane stovetop, but I'd probably get a pressure cooker for the stove top to reheat stuff or to keep it hot until dinner on the water.

Of course, you're talking to a guy who has carried a Coleman camp stove into the cockpit and put in on a plank with no-skid...Mmmm...boat breakfast...keep 'er level, dear!

Microwaves are great at dock.

#9 ·
We have a microwave on board - the only thing we use it for is popcorn.

All cooking and baking is done on a Force 10 stove (LPG). Microwaves as said in earlier posts are power-hungry little devils

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.