SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who''s living on what??
View Single Post
post #146 of Old 04-01-2009
cosmo1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeyensweetp View Post
37 ft. CC Irwin Ketch, love the room for my daughter age 12 and I, we have a hard dodger which is great. we live in the hook and love it. Sarasota Florida
any questions feel free to ask

Popeye N Sweetp
Hi, I am new to the yachting world and would like to live on a boat. I would like to know if it makes sense for me:

I am not sure if I will get claustrophobic as a result of cramp spaces and in particular, the low ceilings. I think I won't mind the gentle rocking motion and if I know it will get too rockin, I can find short term on shore solution.

I will be mostly living alone with a small dog, my girlfriend living nearby on land. I think a 30 - 40' should be enough for me and my buddy w/ g/f visiting on weekends mostly.

I know about marina fees, which I figured about the same as HOA dues for 2 bed condo in the city. And, streamlining possessions, to be space conscious and efficient. I lack sufficient sailing, nautical knowledge (at this point, but eager to learn more); and maintenance costs, which I am sure to find out; so I figure a power type boat is what I need at this point. Although, would love to just one day just wind power to someplace I feel like at the moment, but not yet: one day.

In my case, it's more of living on vessel in marina, with occasional monthly day outings for now. However, I can't imagine myself living without 3 "land-based" things at this point:

1) consistent cell phone coverage; at least when I am at the marina which is most of the time.

2) TV/Internet: I will need certain cable/sat TV channels, and high speed internet access. I know at least cable not available when not tethered to marina, so is satallite best? if available? or is there a plan C?

3) Some land based conveniences: I like to cook, mostly simple things for myself, 2 - 4 max. Is gas flame cooking applicances possible? some propane thing that works like a bbq machine. Also, heard some issues about hygiene etc; my girl likes to take hot showers: If she can do that, then half the battle is over. And do I need to empty out toilets? how does that work?

I know I would have less questions if I simply compromise to a houseboat; which there are plenty to procure from in my area. But I like the idea of a real boat, a functional machine which serves a dual purpose, along with the obvious water based advantages. I imagine taking my "home" to some south pacific destination one day.

Thanks
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome