SailNet Community - View Single Post - Round Shaft Helix Mooring
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009

Freerider is on a distinguished road
Round Shaft Helix Mooring

Does anybody use one of these for a mooring?

Round Shaft Anchors

I know the more complex type helix are great systems, but I'm not interested in hiring someone to install one. The more simple round shaft helix I can install myself by SCUBA.

I'm concerned with their holding power, I've read their load is around 4000lbs, and sure that is dependent of different factors, including bottom type. My boat will be approx 32', 10' beam, 10000lbs displacement.

I'm not 100% sure what the bottom is like but I will be located in a BC inlet near the mouth of a river.

Do you guys think this type of mooring would be better than say a Rocna 20? I'm not sure if its a good idea to live long term and leave the boat for a week at a time (on rare occasion), and leave her hanging on an anchor.

I feel a permanent mooring would be a better idea however; this mooring can't reset itself if it lets go, a MAJOR disadvantage. I know an anchor should be able to look after my boat, or i should get a new anchor, but the idea of a permanent mooring seems more secure.

I know you guys will know the answer, so which would be better to avoid the price of marinas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook