SailNet Community - View Single Post - S2 27 Class Association
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009

scuppers is on a distinguished road
Exclamation A note for a new traveler...

My new Harken traveler does not have pre-drilled holes for mounting. Instead, there is a channel in the track that is designed to take stainless steel slides, whose positions are adjustable left to right. The slides have bolt holes in them. I inserted the bolts into the slides, then I simply slid the slides into the track, aligned the bolts over the old holes, snugged down the traveler (with 3M 4200 beneath and in the holes), and tightened the sucka down. In other words, I didn't have to drill new holes in the storm hood to install the Harken traveler. I did remove the vertical washboard "keepers", which allowed me to slide off the Lexan hatch. I could then access the traveler bolts from the companionway to put on the washers and locknuts without removing the storm hood (which would have been a can 'o worms that I didn't want to open! That would have required lots of rebedding of many bolts.) So my caution is this: if you get a new traveler that is predrilled, make sure that the boltholes line up with the old holes, or you are in for a LOT of additional work. The Harken slide system worked great for this.

I hope this is helpful. FWIW.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook