SailNet Community - View Single Post - Financial Guidance?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 12-10-2004
DaveB.

Financial Guidance?

I think it''s a really good idea. Mind you, I''m not a cruiser, I''m a wannabe, but I''m getting close, and so I have some tens of thousands of dollars that want handling (I know, that''s a shocking statement--NOONE wants to talk money around here!) For one thing, with a little research, you could provide some good numbers on the proverbial question--"what does it cost?" Sailors love to say, "Well, that depends," or "It costs what you''ve got," but, in fact, it''s a very answerable question (and there are some more or less precise answers out there if you look hard), but someone with some money/numbers sense and a bit of research could help detail it out and make it clearer what you can do where, on what kind of boat, for how much. Jack knows what it costs--he''s said somewhere that he keeps track of every dime--so he knows what a cruise on his boat, living the kind of life that he lives, doing the things they do costs--and he could probably print out a Quicken file and say where everything went. That''s a good start to cruise planning, I should think. Combine that with bill-paying/mail service, portfolio management, currency updates, cost-of-living updates for various cruising grounds, research and advice on insurance matters (boat and health)...I think Jack''s right that a lot of it is generic, but I also think you''re right in that there''s a benefit to tailoring the financial advice to the client--and cruising is a BIG variable (I should think). I''ll be your guinea pig. I''ll put your logo on my mainsail...One question may be, a lot of cruisers probably have generic money managers of some type--could you convince them that your sailorcentric approach would be sufficiently beneficial to them to switch? But it sounds attractive to me.

Dave.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome