SailNet Community - View Single Post - liveaboard: Cal 27 VS Catalina 27
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009

nailbunny is on a distinguished road
liveaboard: Cal 27 VS Catalina 27

Sailnet, this is my first post. I confess to the sin of not lurking moar, but i couldn't find a answer to my question on google so i'm not sure it was asked. Come to think of it, i haven't found ANY mention of anyone living on a cal 27!

I'm looking for a boat I can live on. In the area i see a late 70's jensen cal for sale, as well as a late 70s catalina. I've seen both types, but not the particular boats. I'll share with you my rationale and perhaps you could help me tip the balance to one side with your knowledge.

From what i've seen in previous boats of the type, the cal has disturbingly little storage space at first blush, but comes with insulated bulkheads, a door for the head, a holding tank for the head (seems important to me). There's a mind-numbing amount of extra space under the cockpit hatches, perhaps stuff could be put there with some degree of inconvenience and invention. Perks like a ship to shore radio, sound system. This is just from an hour of looking at one.

I know someone who owns a catalina, I've cleaned sailed and scraped it and i imagine i could live on one IF i got a holding tank for the head, which that one didn't have. There's many more places to put stuff, there's a quarter berth that looks like a good place to sleep. No head door, no insulation.

Do late 70s catalinas conventionally come without a waste tank? Do cals normally come with? Did i miss some storage potential in the cal? Am I overlooking some relative convenience or reliability in either vessel?

Regarding my needs, I want to live on it and sail it. Climate where i live is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I'm ok with small spaces but i'm not a buddhist monk, there's an amount of stuff that i just have to have.

Also, atomic 4 vs yanmar diesel?

Last edited by nailbunny; 04-03-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook