SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a sailing barge-opinions
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009

DesivoDelta is on a distinguished road
Thanks Sailingdog. I have been trying to research these vessels as much as possible. I too have read that because of the shape of the hull they can be difficult to sail in heavy seas. Which is why I am considering a size over 60 feet. The added mass of the ship should do better to counteract the flat bottom hull. Additional, If the leeboards are large and and sufficiently weighted, the ship should have acceptable windward performance. They seem to be relatively easy to hove-to given their wide beam and shallow draft.

I will agree that maintaining a ship of that size will be very involving. Any work directly related to the hull and engines, I will seek professional help. Everything else, I anticipate will be a trial of love, sweat and blood.

This summer I will be looking into getting some form of coast guard certification with the establishing a limited charter business. My main purpose is to become a lifelong liveaboard and cruiser. These ships just have such a romantic look to them. Also, the cost to purchase them is spectacular for a ship its size.

Last edited by DesivoDelta; 04-03-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook