SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please....at least use some KY!
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
So why is this? The boating fraternity world wide could make every effort to boycott marine suppliers wherever possible. Would that make a difference? Not really. Because a large proportion of the boat-ownership world-wide are wealthy folks who don't even ask the price. They mostly don't even know what was done to fix a problem and their secretary or accountant pays the bill. I have several friends in the boat maintenance business here in Auckland and they reckon one in 5 customers ask for a quote. The rest just want the problem gone.

That's why we pay extortionate prices.
Car industry is the same way. Stories of being ripped off in car repair shops are so numerous I don't think it is worth repeating any. That said, there are many fewer marine repair outfits out there than car related. In my recent repair of the rigging I had a choice of essentially two riggers. One I used before and they were terrible. That left the other one As you may imagine, whatever he asks I'll have to pay. (There are a few more companies that do rigging in the area, but the total number is may be under 10 and most don't go to where I am or don't deal with this type of boat etc).

I wanted to soda blast the bottom of my boat - even better, there is only one company anywhere in the state that does it. Guess what - their price is the price I will pay.

So, the less choice there is - the higher the prices. And because there are a lot less boats out there than cars - this isn't going to change anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook