SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a sailing barge-opinions
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
During my six years of owning a Dutch canal cruiser and exploring the French canals, I met many barge owners. There are many types of Dutch barge, from haagenaars, klippers, klipperaaks, aaks, but the most popular are the tjalks and the luxemotors. None of these are inexpensive to own and operate, and none of them are very seaworthy outside inland waterways.

That they look so wonderfully classic is directly related to their age, since most of them date to the early 1900s, some to the late 1800s. However, looks are one thing and current utility is another. They are quite unsuitable outside of the wonderful inland waterways of Europe, and even there, many owners with whom I have spoken freely expressed the wish they had opted for a more modern and easier handled (both nautically and financially) canal cruiser.

There are sometimes listings available in the USA by disenchanted owners who have discovered the mismatch between their dreams and reality.
Dutch Sailing Canal Barge 62' sailboat for sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook