SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seafarer 29
Thread: Seafarer 29
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004

matoqui is on a distinguished road
Seafarer 29

Jack,

I plan on mooring the boat in Boqueron, southwest of the island. Being a college professor, I do enjoy longer vacations that most people and have a somewhat flexible schedule, so hopefully I will get a lot of practice. My family is very enthusiastic about the boat, and we plan to spend many hours on it - and learn together.

I do appreciate - and agree with - the words of caution previously expressed. In fact, I believe that they are consistent with the way I look at the purchase, which can be summarized as: (1) trying to obtain a moderate initial cost, but avoid the temptation of getting into something that requires a very low initial investment but too much work (i.e. a lemon); (2) a safe boat, easy to navigate and sturdy enough to be safe if catched on bad weather; and (3) a simple boat, in which things are easy to fix, but in which we feel comfortable. We hope to get at least 10 years of good service from the boat, while keeping the cost of repairs and maintenance below, letīs say, $2k/year.

My hope is to eventually be skillful enough to cross the Mona passage (about a 24 hour sail west) and spend one or two months touring the coast of the Dominican Republic/Haiti. Besides that, we would like to someday sail east to the Virgin Island. But for now, I we will just navigate back and forth in the bay and go to nearby beaches, and have fun.

Thanks!

Manuel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook