SailNet Community - View Single Post - From the Hudson to Champlain
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Not a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigvalveturbo View Post
I am thinking about buying a 25 footer on the hudson and sailing her home to champlain, I have never sailed on a river or gone thru the locks,I have sailed champlain for years. So i am just looking for info any good books on the river? how "sailable" is it u north when in narows down? how narrow is it? How tiff is the current? What about good ancorage? Any special tips for ancoring in a river?What have I missed?
You need to take your mast down to go through the canal. If the boat is on the hard now with the mast down it would not make much sense to put it up (unless for survey reasons) until you get to Champlain. If the mast is up you can take it down at the Castleton BC south of Albany if you feel comfortable doing it (you need a cradle to hold it on deck - easy to make out of cheap lumber and deck screws - you really don't need bolts for a mast that size. If you want someone to take the mast down for you several of the marinas south of Castleton do it.

Not sure where on the Hudson you are starting but the tide really makes a difference in your speed. It is much more pleasant not to fight a foul tide. Some parts of the river are wider and sailing is easier there but some parts are fairly narrow. The wind seems to funnel down (or up) the river so you tend to be running (spinnaker would be helpful here) or motoring. Overall you will be relying on the motor a lot so make sure it is reliable.

Locks are not hard to handle with two people on a boat that size. Some locks have ladders and some have cables hanging down. What works well is to have one long line tied fore and aft with enough slack to form a loop that you can pass around the cable or rungs of the ladder. One person moves this up or down as the locks fills or empties. The other person can fend off as needed. You need a decent boat hook and gloves as it is mucky (the long line will not be clean at the end of the process - start with an old one)

Not too many anchorages on the river. In the canal you can generally tie up at the locks for free - good idea to pass a lock and tie up above it so you can get an earlier start in the morning without having to wait for the lock keeper. Also some towns offer free docking for the night.
Have fun it is a pleasant trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook