SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seafarer 29
Thread: Seafarer 29
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Seafarer 29

You''re welcome, Manuel. And of course, like many other North American sailors, I know Boqueron very well. You have some ideal cruising grounds right near you (and I suspect you work at the beautiful University of Mayaguez?). Just sailing over to the next (entirely protected) estuary of Puerto Real is fun and easily done in almost any weather.

A shorter cruise that would be a wonderful trip is to make an early morning run around Cabo Rojo to La Parguera (a total of perhaps 30 NM), perhaps our favorite anchorage in all of the Caribbean. There you sit, on the hook, with the entire Caribbean in front of your boat, unobstructed, but with the reef structures keeping the seas to an absolute minimum...and the ice cream at the LP store just a few minutes away by dinghy, after some great snorkeling along the reefs. Your only real challenge is to round Cabo Rojo in lighter winds, perhaps early in the morning.

For your longer run across the Mono, I''d recommend visiting La Romana and some of the anchorages and Rias that are West of there, leading you down to Boca Chica. This sleepy resort town offers quick, comfortable bus rides into Santo Domingo, and yet the anchorage (or a marina) is right in front of the entire Caribbean but behind an even taller reef. Your crew will believe that you have anchored in concrete.

Good luck on your upcoming decisions, Manuel.

Jack
Y
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook