SailNet Community - View Single Post - From the Hudson to Champlain
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
For the Champlain Canal, every lock except for the Federal Lock (before the split of the canal system into the Erie and the Champlain sections) will have lines hanging off the walls to hold on to. Make sure you have a set of gloves. If you plan on tying up to the docks at the locks at night, have several LONG THICK lines. When we tied up south of Lock 4 (I think it was lock 4), my 50' 5/8" lines were barely long enough to reach where they needed to go to tie off. Some of the locks are better than others - Lock 9 has normal (albeit LARGE) cleats lining the walls.

Killarney is spot on with regards to currents. Plan your day to keep the current with you. You can easily do 60-75nm days when the current is with you, but plan on 35nm days when it is against you. There are not many good places to anchor, but they are there. Most of the Maptech chartbooks will show you where they are, and if you pick up the Skipper Bob guide it will also tell you where you can anchor.

Check out my post specifically on travelling the Champlain Canal - Traveling the Champlain Canal

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook