SailNet Community - View Single Post - Building a New Ruuder
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Building a New Ruuder

We all have our ideas this was my idea and it worked very good. I found the shape I wanted a long tapered foil took the old stainless shaft cleaned it up and had it trued for twenty bucks at a machine shop. The next step was the local salvage yard and I found a piece of 3/16th plate four feet long and ten inches wide. The welding shop cut a slot in plate and welded it using the piece they cut out to make gussets and I had a stainless core to end all cores. I could have sailed the boat with what I had. then I took plywood and cut templates in the foil halfs shape and built a mould with two X 4 and the two parts were lined with formica and it was glued to the foil tenplates. Next it was coated with seperator and using triaxle cloth three layers were layed on, one coat of mat was the last layer On each half. Now the shaft was set into place and high dinsity foam two part stuff poured in and after it cured the top of the mold was glassed in and the mold seperated and removed and what we had was a smooth as a babys butt rudder which only required an hour to fair with glass tape and a a little more resin and another hour to primer and another to bottom paint. All this for $500. Beats $3000 any day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook