SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

chartplotter / fishfinder questions

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Hello,

I''m in the market for an inexpensive combo chartplotter / fishfinder (for depth meter use only). My budget is $500 or so. I have been doing research and there are many makes and models available.

Screen sizes range from 3.5" to 5". There are both color and monochrome displays. Resolutions range from 240 X 240 to 480 X 480.

Any comments so far?

Particular models I am considering are
Lowrance M68 C S Map
Eagle FishElite 480 and 500C
Garmin GPSMAP 178 and 178C Sounder.

Anything else?

Thanks!
Barry

#3 ·
Why do you want to get a combo chartplotter/fishfinder if you are only going to use it for a depth sounder? You might be able to get a standalone fishfinder for less. You can get a plain digital readout depthsounder, if all you care about is how deep the water is, for less still.

#4 ·
Hello,

I want a combo unit because it''s cheaper to buy the combo unit than to purchas a mapping GPS and a separate sounder. The depth sounders are all in the $200 range. The unit I will prbably buy, the Lowrance M68 S MAP, is $399, and has a color display, detailed maps with navaids, AND a depth sounder.

I figure the fish finder part will come in handy when I want to anchor.

What I don''t understand is why people spend $200 for just a depth finder when you can get a basic fishfinder for $100 or so.

Barry

Barry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.