SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Water Capable Boats (Not a Cat 30, I promise)
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009

Aesir is on a distinguished road
Question Blue Water Capable Boats (Not a Cat 30, I promise)

I spotted a thread on this forum titled Circumnavigate Catalina 30, which was a great discussion about the capabilities (and maybe more importantly, the limitations) of a Cat 30. I've recently joined a yacht club in Southern California with a fleet of Cat 30's--very nice boats, and the attractive pricing easily leads one to start dreaming of purchasing one for extended voyages. But whenever someone suggests such an idea in forums like these, the responses are always pretty consistent: The Catalina 30 was just not built for offshore passages. If I spent days searching these types of posts, there's always some scattered opinions of suggested alternatives for such an endeavor, but it's usually someone recommending some obscure boat that they've happened to decide is a great offshore cruiser.

Is there any place (any other posts, perhaps) that one could find a list of blue water capable boats in the 30-38 foot range that are designed for the open ocean and limited crew, sometimes single-handed? Is there an equivalent to the Catalina 30 (i.e. mass produced, commonly available, and relatively low cost compared to more custom yachts), that is intended for blue water? The common suggestion to people trying to make ocean passages in a Cat 30 is, "Forget it and buy a boat that was designed for your intended purpose." So what boats would fit the bill?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook