SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pullman Berths
Thread: Pullman Berths
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009

nemier is on a distinguished road
I have a design in mind. My mind. A single hander's boat, but comfortably sleeps two, can accommodate 4, feed 6, and have 8 over for drinks. The bow has a substantial anchor well, perhaps measuring 3-4 ft. fore-&-aft and holds two anchors at the ready...
My primary 44lb Bruce with 250' of 5/16" stainless HT chain. My secondary Rocna, slightly smaller with 50' of 5/16" stainless HT chain coupled to 200' of 5/8" nylon rode.

Aft of this is a dedicated storage area with a large hatch on deck. It opens up to take your wet sails, lines, fenders, and miscellaneous rigging. Just with-in arms reach with be a selection of stainless, certified swivels, snatch-blocks, gibs-clips, shackles, caribeeners, etc, at the ready...Naturally, it drains into the bilge.

Aft of this is your owners PULLMAN berth to a chosen side. It's so far aft, it's huge. the other side incorporates the large hanging locker and associated mini/multi storage boxes, all naturally ventellated of course.

I'm a traditionalist, so the main salon endows two strait settees, port & stbd, each long enough to sleep on (say 7') with lee cloths at the ready...The main salon table is bulkhead mounted. Outboard & above the settees with be storage for books and other essentials.

Still moving aft. One side houses the galley, appropriate allowance catered for here, because food & wine are the instruments of love...
The other side has a huge stand-up (or sit-down) chart table, again allowing for ocean voyage chart catalogue capacities.

Now you are at the companionway and you have a choice. My preference is that the port side houses the dedicated shower compartment, which of course doubles as the foul weather locker. The stbd side is the single ample sized head. Toilet paper always dry on this boat!

So lets add up the sizes...4+4+7+7+4+7= 33'
Allow for a bit of S&S graceful overhangs...3+2=5'

Total 33' + 5' + 38'

I believe this post qualifies because I mentioned the word PULLMAN
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook