SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on a Beneteau 42CC
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
I chartered a Benny 40CC about 7 years ago (it's the same boat, but the 42 has an elongated stern and larger aft deck, which is how it went from 40 to 42, I believe, though am not 100% certain).

Keeping in mind that it was a charter in the BVI, we had two couples, no kids, and plenty of partying, we loved the boat and actually considered buying one There are things about it that I actually didn't like, but mostly personal preference stuff. We hit a number of squalls that trip so, as with many charterers, we ended up with too much sail for the conditions at times, but I actually was pleased with how the boat handled my missteps.

I also am not a fan of pullman berths, which our charter boat had (not sure if they've changed that). One person always has to climb over the other, and that gets old quicker than you might think. At least it did when we were sailing our Bayfield.

The aft head was huge, which was a plus. Possibly not the best head if you're in a seaway, but if you're in those conditions just don't use that head.

The aft cabin also was great, and very spacious.

There wasn't all that much storage, which is something that doesn't matter for a charter, but is not to be overlooked for full time cruising. There are work arounds, but just understand that you may need those work arounds. Likewise, because she's a CC, the deck storage may be more limited, though as I write this I realize that because of the new aft deck design it's possible that Beneteau added more deck storage. Dunno. {shrug}

I don't believe you'll have a quality difference between the boats you are looking at. You're not looking at Hinckleys or Hallberg-Rassy's, and make sure you understand that so that you don't have unrealistic expectations. That said, if you plan to coastal cruise with the occassional offshore hop, the boat most likely will be fine, and the bigger issue will be whether you equip her properly and make the upgrades that just about any boat needs before venturing too far offshore (secure attachment points for jacklines, proper communications equipment, properly secured floorboards/cabinets/batts, etc.).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook