SailNet Community - View Single Post - Venture 17 restoration
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009

ajsemtb is on a distinguished road
Well, here's what I found out: Home Depot's turnbuckle has stainless eye bolts, but an aluminum body. The 3/8" is rated at 350 lbs. They also had some that were zinc plated that were cheaper, but less weight ratings. Also they only sell galvenized 1/8" cable, not stainless unless you get 3/16" which is overkill, I think. So, I'm 0 for 2. I guess my local sail shop is getting some business soon... They did have vinyl coated 1/8" but it was still galvenized... Why stainless again? Also, the weight rating on the 1/8" cables were all 340lbs, I don't know if sailboat cable is different somehow. I did however pay a visit to my boat today (its in storage) and I don't think its in that bad of condition... Yes, it needs a lot of work, and the interior is shot, but the deck is solid (though needs paint). I need to bring it home so I can work on it here and get a better idea of what I need to do.

I have some leftover parts from another hobie, I'm thinking of using the forestay assembly from that, that'll save me a few bucks. I have various shackles and parts laying around and pulleys, I may not need as much stuff as I thought...

When I looked at Jib sails, they also had a genoa/jib sail that was a bit bigger. Why would I want a genoa? I've seen pics with Ventures flying 3 sails at once, I'm assuming one is a genoa? How would that be rigged?
That's enough for now. I'll try to bring the boat home this weekend so I can talk and work at the same time.
'72 Venture 17 #1340
'84 Hobie 16
Aquaterra Kayak
A canoe
1 rubber ducky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook